
Ahmedabad's Grand Shivay Hotel: Luxury Redefined!
Grand Shivay Hotel: Luxury Redefined? (My Honest Ahmedabad Adventure)
Okay, folks, buckle up. Because this isn’t your standard, sanitized hotel review. We’re diving headfirst into the Grand Shivay Hotel in Ahmedabad, and I'm here to tell you, it's… well, it's an experience. Forget perfectly polished prose; this is gonna be a rambling, honest, and hopefully, helpful account of my stay. Because, let's be real, finding the perfect hotel is like finding a unicorn wearing a perfectly fitted suit.
First Impressions & Getting In (Accessibility, or Lack Thereof… Kinda)
Finding the place was easy enough – the location is pretty central, a definite plus. Now, about accessibility… they say "Facilities for disabled guests," and that's a good start. But honestly? I didn't specifically test it. My own mobility is decent, so I didn’t scrutinize every ramp and elevator. (Important Note: I'd recommend contacting the hotel directly if accessibility is a major concern. Don't take my word as gospel!) However, I did notice a modern elevator and generally well-maintained common areas, so fingers crossed they've put some thought into it.
Check-in: Smooth. Contactless? Not quite, but efficient and friendly. The doorman? Super helpful, especially in the Ahmedabad heat. (Pro-tip: bring a hat. Seriously.)
The Room: My Oasis… and Occasional Battlefield
Alright, let's talk rooms. I booked a "non-smoking" room (thank goodness!). The air conditioning was a lifesaver – Ahmedabad is HOT. The bed? Comfortable. Like, really comfortable. The kind of bed you want to just… disappear into. (I almost did. Several times.)
The "Available in all rooms" list is LONG, so let's break it down, shall we?
- The Good: Air conditioning (essential), Free Wi-Fi (thank the heavens!), Bathrobes (luxury!), Coffee/tea maker (morning savior), Desk (for pretending to work), Hair dryer (thank you, hotel gods!), In-room safe box (peace of mind!), Mini bar (temptation!), Private bathroom (duh!), Satellite/cable channels (for mindless entertainment), Shower (refreshing!), Slippers (a nice touch!), Smoke detector (safety first!), Telephone (for calling room service, duh!), Toiletries (always a plus!), Towels (obviously!), Wake-up service (for those early meetings).
- The Okay: Alarm clock (who uses those anymore?), Blackout curtains (needed for the heat, and the jet lag), Carpeting (standard), Closet (storage!), Complimentary tea (nice!), Daily housekeeping (appreciated!), Desk (for pretending to work), Extra long bed (yay!), High floor (views!), Ironing facilities (wrinkled clothes begone!), Laptop workspace (if you must work), Linens (clean!), Non-smoking (crucial!), On-demand movies (never used, but a nice option), Reading light (for those late-night books), Refrigerator (useful!), Seating area (a comfy place to collapse), Separate shower/bathtub (fancy!), Socket near the bed (thank you, modern world!), Sofa (for lounging), Soundproofing (THANK YOU!), Umbrella (for the monsoon season – I didn't need it, but good to have), Window that opens (fresh air!).
- The Meh: Bathrooms phone (never touched it, never will), Bathtub (didn’t use it), Mirror (yup, there it is), Scale (didn’t dare!).
The Imperfections: Okay, let's be honest. The decor was… a little dated. Not bad, just… not exactly "luxury redefined" in the ultra-modern sense. And sometimes, the Wi-Fi would hiccup. But hey, it's a hotel, not a spaceship. Overall, the room was clean, comfortable, and a welcome refuge from the chaos of the city.
Food, Glorious Food (And the Occasional Hiccup): Dining, Drinking, and Snacking
Okay, this is where things get interesting. The Grand Shivay has a lot of options.
- Restaurants: I tried the a la carte menu, and the buffet. Buffet was a bit chaotic, but the food was pretty good. The a la carte was better, but also a bit slow. The Asian cuisine was a standout. Seriously, the Pad Thai? Amazing. I’m still dreaming about it.
- Breakfast: Breakfast [buffet] was extensive with Western breakfast and Asian breakfast options. The coffee was good, but the service was a bit slow, I'd recommend the Breakfast in room if you're in a hurry.
- Bars: The Poolside bar was a great place to unwind after a day of exploring. The drinks were well-made, and the atmosphere was relaxed.
- Snacking: There's a Coffee shop, but I didn't try it.
The Downsides: Service was a bit inconsistent. Sometimes, it felt like I was waiting forever for my order. Also, the "Happy Hour" wasn't as happy as it could have been (prices still seemed a bit high).
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: From Gyms to Spas (and Everything In Between)
This is where the Grand Shivay really shines. They've got a massive array of options.
- Fitness Center: I didn’t hit the gym, but it looked well-equipped.
- Spa: Now, this is where I did indulge. The massage was heavenly. Seriously, melt-in-your-chair good. They have Body scrub & Body wrap options also.
- Pool: The Pool with view was gorgeous. Perfect for a dip after a day of sightseeing.
- Sauna, Steamroom: Didn't try, but they were there!
The Verdict: Cleanliness, Safety, and the "Luxury" Factor
- Cleanliness: Spotless. I was genuinely impressed. The rooms were cleaned daily, and the public areas were well-maintained.
- Safety: They take it seriously. There's CCTV in common areas and Security [24-hour], which is reassuring. First aid kit and Doctor/nurse on call are available.
- COVID-19 Protocols: They are implementing Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Room sanitization between stays, Safe dining setup, Staff trained in safety protocol, and Sanitized kitchen and tableware items.
- Luxury Redefined? It's not quite the ultra-modern, minimalist luxury you might be expecting. But it's comfortable, well-equipped, and offers a fantastic range of amenities. The spa and pool alone are worth the price of admission.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
- Concierge: Super helpful with recommendations and bookings.
- Laundry service & Dry Cleaning: They did a great job with my clothes.
- Car Park [free of charge]: A huge plus in Ahmedabad!
- Internet Access: Reliable Wi-Fi and Internet [LAN] in the rooms.
- Other: Currency exchange, Luggage storage, Cash withdrawal, Elevator.
For the Kids:
- Family/child friendly: Yes, the hotel is family-friendly.
- Babysitting service: Available.
The Quirks & Imperfections: The Real-World Stuff
- The Elevator: Sometimes, it takes a while. Patience is a virtue, especially in Ahmedabad.
- The Service: As mentioned, service can be a bit slow at times. Be prepared to flag down a waiter.
- The "Luxury" Price Tag: It's not cheap. But, considering the amenities and location, it's a reasonable value.
Overall, would I recommend the Grand Shivay?
Absolutely. It’s a solid choice for a comfortable and convenient stay in Ahmedabad. It's not perfect, but it's got a lot going for it. The staff are friendly, the amenities are plentiful, and the location is ideal for exploring the city. Just go in with realistic expectations, and you'll have a great time.
SEO-Optimized & Irresistible Offer for the Grand Shivay Hotel:
Headline: Escape to Ahmedabad: Indulge in Luxury at Grand Shivay Hotel! (Book Now & Get Pampered!)
Body:
Tired of the ordinary? Craving an unforgettable Ahmedabad experience? Look no further than the Grand Shivay Hotel: Luxury Redefined! where comfort meets convenience, and relaxation is a priority.
Why Choose Grand Shivay?
- Unwind in Style: Sink into our plush beds, enjoy Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, and let our attentive staff cater to your every need.
- Indulge Your Senses: Take a dip in our stunning Pool with view, melt away stress with a blissful Massage at our spa, and savor the delicious flavors of Asian cuisine

Okay, buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your perfectly polished, Instagram-filtered itinerary. This is the REAL DEAL. We're talking Ahmedabad, Hotel The Grand Shivay, and a whole heap of me, in all my gloriously flawed glory. Consider this a travel diary that's been left in a blender on "puree."
Ahmedabad Adventure: A Chaotic Symphony (and Hopefully, Not a Disaster)
Day 1: Arrival & Ahmedabad's Initial Charm… or Lack Thereof?
Morning (7:00 AM): Ugh. The red-eye from… well, let's just say far, far away. Landed in Ahmedabad. The heat hit me like a brick wall. Seriously, I think my eyeballs are already starting to sweat. Found a taxi, the driver looked like he'd seen a ghost (maybe he has). The drive to Hotel The Grand Shivay was… well, it was a drive. Not particularly scenic. Lots of dusty roads. My first impression? Ahmedabad is… beige. Vast expanses of beige.
Mid-Morning (9:00 AM): Check-in at the hotel. The lobby is… grand. In a slightly dated, slightly gold-plated way. The staff are charming, though. They're all smiles. Maybe they're just used to dealing with jet-lagged, sweaty tourists. My room? Pretty standard. Clean, thankfully. And air-conditioned. Praise the gods of AC.
Late Morning/Early Afternoon (11:00 AM - 1:00 PM): Okay, time to be a tourist. First stop: Sidi Saiyyed Mosque. Heard it's beautiful. Hopped in a rickshaw – those things are death traps, but also, strangely exhilarating. The mosque is stunning. The intricate stone latticework is breathtaking. I spent way too long just staring at it, trying to figure out how they did that. This is where I'm going to declare my love for the city, it is magnificent.
Lunch (1:30 PM): Found a local place near the mosque. Ordered something… I think it was called a "thali." It arrived with about a million little dishes. I have no idea what half of them were, but it was delicious. And spicy. So, so spicy. My mouth is still on fire. Worth it. I was so hungry I ate it all in 5 minutes flat.
Afternoon (3:00 PM - 5:00 PM): Sabarmati Ashram. Gandhi's residence. Heavy stuff. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting to be so moved. Walking around the simple, humble space, imagining him living and working there… It just hit me. I got a little teary. Don't judge. It's a powerful place. Also, I bought a ridiculously overpriced hand-spun scarf from the gift shop. Souvenir shopping is my weakness.
Evening (6:00 PM - 8:00 PM): Back to the hotel. Shower. Pray for the air conditioning to keep working. Dinner at the hotel restaurant. It's… okay. Nothing to write home about. But I'm too tired to go searching for anything else. Feeling the jet lag kick in hard.
Night (8:30 PM): Lights out. Hoping to sleep through the night. Praying the mosquitoes don't find me.
Day 2: Exploring the Old City & a Culinary Adventure (or Disaster?)
Morning (8:00 AM): Woke up! Survived the night! (Mosquito count: 0). Breakfast at the hotel. Standard buffet fare. Ate way too many pastries. Regret already.
Late Morning (9:30 AM - 12:00 PM): Old City Walking Tour. Okay, this is where things get… interesting. The old city is a maze of narrow streets, bustling markets, and crumbling buildings. It's chaotic. It's vibrant. It's overwhelming. Our guide, a lovely but slightly frazzled local, kept getting distracted by street vendors. I almost got run over by a scooter approximately 7 times. But the architecture is amazing. The pols (residential areas) are like hidden worlds. I felt like I was in a movie.
Lunch (12:30 PM): Okay, this is the big one. I decided to be brave. I found a street food stall that looked… promising. Okay, it looked slightly questionable. But the smell! The aroma of spices! I ordered something that the vendor assured me was a "local delicacy." He winked. I'm pretty sure he was trying to warn me.
Afternoon (1:30 PM - 4:00 PM): THE STREET FOOD EXPERIENCE. Oh, sweet, merciful Buddha. This is where things went sideways. The "local delicacy" was… well, let's just say it involved a lot of deep-fried batter, possibly some questionable meat, and a sauce that could strip paint. I took one bite. My stomach immediately revolted. I spent the next hour and a half desperately searching for a clean toilet. I won't go into graphic detail, but let's just say I had a very intimate relationship with the hotel bathroom.
Afternoon/Evening (4:00 PM - 7:00 PM): Back at the hotel. Dehydrated. Weak. Regretting my life choices. Ordered plain rice and water for dinner. Swearing off street food forever. Or at least, for the next 24 hours.
Night (7:30 PM): Finally, feeling human again. Still, a little shaky. But determined to survive. Planning my escape route back to the hotel.
Day 3: The Final Day and Departure
Morning (8:00 AM): Feeling almost human. Maybe it was the plain rice. Maybe it was the sheer force of will. Breakfast - very light. Avoiding any food that looks remotely suspicious.
Late Morning (9:30 AM - 11:30 AM): Shopping. Went to the Law Garden Market. It's a total sensory overload. Colors, fabrics, jewelry, everything. I haggled. I bartered. I bought way too many things I probably don't need. But it was fun! And I got a beautiful silk scarf. Redemption!
Lunch (12:00 PM): Back to the hotel. Safe food. Chicken and rice. Boring, but safe.
Afternoon (1:00 PM - 3:00 PM): Relaxing at the hotel. Trying to mentally prepare for my flight home. Ahmedabad, you were a… experience.
Late Afternoon/Evening (4:00 PM): Headed to the airport. Goodbye Ahmedabad. Goodbye spice. Goodbye chaos. Farewell to the hotel. Until next time, India. I'm not sure when that will be, but I'm sure it will be memorable.
Night (8:00 PM): Plane bound. Thinking about my next travel adventure. Maybe somewhere with less spice and more toilets…
Final Thoughts:
Ahmedabad, you're a whirlwind. You're dusty and delicious and occasionally stomach-churning. You're beautiful and chaotic and utterly unforgettable. I'll be back. Eventually. After I've recovered from the street food incident.
And the Hotel The Grand Shivay? It was a haven. A comfortable, slightly-dated, air-conditioned haven in the middle of the mayhem. I'd recommend it, with the caveat that you probably won't be writing home about the food. But hey, that's what street food is for, right? (Maybe skip the "local delicacy" though. Seriously.)
Uncover Tunisia's Hidden Gem: Dar Oguz Hammam Al Agzaz!
Grand Shivay Hotel: Luxury Redefined? (Or Just Redefined *Expensive*?) - Let's Get Real.
Okay, spill. Is the Grand Shivay *actually* grand? Or is it just… grandly priced?
Alright, here’s the deal. "Grand" is definitely a word they lean into. The lobby? Yep, it's pretty damn impressive. Think soaring ceilings, shimmering chandeliers, and enough marble to make a Roman emperor jealous. First impressions? Boom. You’re feeling fancy. But... and there's always a but, isn't there? That initial "wow" factor starts to fade a little when you realize you're paying *a lot* for that "wow." I mean, I nearly choked on my complimentary welcome drink (which, by the way, was delicious) when I saw the bill. Luxury? Yes. But at what cost? My bank account is still weeping.
The rooms… are they worth the hype (and the price tag)?
The rooms are… good. Really good. Think plush beds you could get *lost* in, a bathroom bigger than my first apartment (no exaggeration!), and ridiculously fluffy towels. I actually *stole* one. (Kidding!…Mostly.) Okay, okay, the rooms are genuinely lovely. The view from my room was pretty spectacular, overlooking the city. The only real downside? The air conditioning. It took, like, an hour to properly kick in, and I was sweating like a pig in a sauna. And seriously, for the price, the AC should be able to freeze my eyeballs. Minor complaint, I know, but still… annoying when you're paying top dollar.
Tell me about the food. Is the dining experience as luxurious as the hotel itself? And, more importantly, is it *tasty*?
Ah, the food. This is where things get… complicated. The breakfast buffet? A masterpiece. Seriously. Everything you could possibly want, from fresh fruit to perfectly cooked dosas to enough pastries to send you into a sugar coma. Worth it? Maybe. I ate enough to justify the cost of the room, I think. Dinner at the hotel's fancy restaurant, however… a mixed bag. The presentation was beautiful, the service impeccable, and the ambiance… well, it felt like I was eating in a museum. The food? Meh. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't *bad*, but it wasn't mind-blowing either. I ordered the lamb chops, and they were… okay. A bit bland, actually. For the price, I expected fireworks! Maybe I just caught them on a bad night. I was so disappointed! I had such high hopes for those lamb chops!
What about the pool and spa? Are they worth a dip (or a massage)?
The pool area is gorgeous. Seriously, Instagrammable levels of gorgeous. Think sparkling blue water, comfy loungers, and attentive staff who bring you cocktails (at a premium, of course). I spent a glorious afternoon there, basking in the sun and pretending I was a celebrity. The spa? Oh, the spa. I had a massage, and it was… divine. Pure, unadulterated bliss. My masseuse, bless her heart, worked out knots I didn't even know I had. Definitely worth it. My only regret? Not booking a longer massage. I could have stayed there all day! The pool and spa? Definitely a highlight. Absolutely.
The service. Is it truly five-star? Do they treat you like royalty?
For the most part, yes. The staff are generally lovely, always polite, and eager to please. They anticipate your needs before you even know you have them. However… and again, there's a "however"… there were a few minor hiccups. Like, my room service order took an hour to arrive. And once, the concierge seemed completely clueless about a local attraction I asked about. It wasn't a *disaster*, by any means, but it did chip away at that perfect five-star image. You expect perfection, especially when you're dropping serious cash. But overall, the service was good, bordering on excellent.
Okay, let's get down to brass tacks. Would you stay at the Grand Shivay again?
That's the million-dollar question, isn't it? Honestly? Probably. Despite the few minor imperfections, the Grand Shivay *is* a lovely hotel. It's a treat. It's a splurge. It's a place to pamper yourself. But… I'd probably wait for a special occasion, or a serious sale. Because, let's be real, it's not cheap. I mean, I'm still recovering financially. But, yeah, I'd go back. Just… maybe bring a winning lottery ticket with me next time.
What about the location? Is it convenient?
The location is pretty decent. It's in a fairly central area, which means you're not too far from most of the major sights and attractions in Ahmedabad. Cabs and auto-rickshaws are readily available, so getting around isn't a huge hassle. However, traffic in Ahmedabad can be a beast, so factor in travel time. Also, it's not like you can just step outside and be in the middle of the action. You'll likely need a short ride to get to the really interesting stuff. So, convenient? Yes, to a degree. Perfect? No. But, it's definitely better than being stuck way out in the sticks.
Did you experience any "extra" charges? Hidden fees?
Oh, you KNOW there were "extra" charges! It's a luxury hotel, darling. They're practically *designed* to nickel-and-dime you. The mini-bar? Forget about it. Each tiny bottle of water cost like, half the price of a regular-sized bottle from the store. The laundry service? Eye-watering. And the Wi-Fi? Surprisingly, it was included, which was a nice change. But yeah, be prepared to pay for *everything* beyond the room rate. Even the bottled water they leave in your room each day... which is, admittedly, a lifesaver in the Ahmedabad heat. They get you. They really do. So, budget accordingly. And maybe sneak in some snacks from the local market beforehand.

