
Avra Apartments: Your Dream Venetian Harbour Escape in Crete!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the swirling turquoise waters of Avra Apartments: Your Dream Venetian Harbour Escape in Crete! This isn't your dry, corporate hotel review. This is me, spilling the tea (or maybe the raki, depending on the mood) about my experience.
The First Impression: Oh. My. God. (and the accessibility stuff)
First things first, let's get the serious stuff out of the way. Accessibility. Okay, I'm not in a wheelchair, but I do appreciate a place that thinks about accessibility. I mean, we're talking about a dream Venetian Harbour Escape, right? If you're mobility-challenged, you need to know if you can actually escape to that dream.
- Accessibility: From what I can tell from the descriptions (and a bit of online sleuthing), Avra attempts to be accessible. Elevator? Check. (Crucial, because you're not carrying me up those stairs!). Facilities for disabled guests? Listed, but details are a bit vague. Important: If you need specific accessibility features (like a roll-in shower), CALL THEM. Don't rely on the descriptions. Get the actual specs. That's just good sense.
- Wheelchair Accessible: See above. CALL THEM.
- Exterior corridors: Yeah, because you are walking in the Venetian harbour, it's all exterior, baby!
- Check-in/out [express]: Sounds great to me, more time for beach.
- Check-in/out [private]: I'd take this, especially if I had a few questions.
Internet, Glorious Internet (and the sanity of a digital nomad)
Okay, now for the stuff that REALLY matters (at least to me, a digital nomad who's basically addicted to Wi-Fi):
- Internet Access: Yes, thank heavens!
- Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Hallelujah! This is a must. My sanity depends on it.
- Internet [LAN]: Nice to have the option, in case the Wi-Fi gets wonky. Backup plan, people.
- Internet Services: Hopefully, they have decent speed and don't block my VPN.
- Wi-Fi in public areas: Essential for those Instagrammable poolside moments.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax (and the siren song of the spa)
This is where Avra starts to REALLY shine. Let's be honest, the entire reason to go to Crete is to relax and do nothing.
- Pool with view: YES! Because, let's face it, a pool is just a body of water until it has a killer view.
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: Double YES. More pool time!
- Sauna/Spa/Steamroom: Okay, I'm intrigued. I'm a sucker for a good steam.
- Gym/fitness: Gotta work off all that baklava somehow!
- Massage, Body scrub, Body wrap: Ugh, yes, please. All of the above. I'm picturing myself now, slathered in some fragrant something-or-other, gazing out at the harbour… bliss.
- Foot bath: This is a new one for me. Is it just a foot bath, or is it some ancient Cretan ritual involving olive oil and chanting? I want to know!
The "Eat, Drink, Be Merry" Rundown (and the constant battle with my stomach)
Food. It's a major factor in my travel experience. And Crete is a food paradise. So, let's see what Avra offers:
- Restaurants, Bar, Coffee shop, Poolside bar, Snack bar: Sounds promising. Variety is the spice of life (and my stomach).
- Breakfast [buffet], Buffet in restaurant, Breakfast service, Breakfast in room, Breakfast takeaway service, Asian breakfast, Western breakfast: Okay, they're covering their bases. I'm a buffet girl at heart. I like the freedom to graze.
- A la carte in restaurant: Good for a more sophisticated evening.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant, Bottle of water, Complimentary tea: Essentials. Cannot survive without caffeine.
- Room service [24-hour]: This is a lifesaver. Especially after a long day of… well, lounging by the pool.
- Alternative meal arrangement, Vegetarian restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Western cuisine in restaurant: All the options! I'm in heaven.
Cleanliness and Safety: The "Is This Place Actually Sanitary?" Check
Look, in the current climate, this is HUGE. I want to feel safe, not like I'm swimming in a petri dish.
- Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment: Okay, they're taking it seriously. This is a major point in their favor.
Services and Conveniences: The "Make My Life Easier" Department
These are the little things that can make or break a stay.
- Concierge, Doorman, Daily housekeeping, Laundry service, Dry cleaning, Ironing service, Luggage storage, Cash withdrawal, Currency exchange, Convenience store, Gift/souvenir shop, Safety deposit boxes, Elevator, Air conditioning in public area, Air conditioning, Facilities for disabled guests, Family/child friendly, Babysitting service: All great. The concierge is my best friend when I'm traveling.
- Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Seminars, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Indoor venue for special events, Outdoor venue for special events, Xerox/fax in business center, Business facilities, Invoice provided, Food delivery: For those who need to mix business with pleasure (or just want a pizza delivered to their room).
- Pets allowed unavailable: Sad face. I love pets, but I understand.
- Smoking area: Good to have, but I'm hoping the rooms are smoke-free.
For the Kids: My Inner Child Is Jealous
- Kids facilities, Kids meal, Babysitting service: Perfect for families.
Getting Around: The "How Do I Actually Get There?" Guide
- Airport transfer: YES! After a long flight, the last thing you want to do is navigate public transport.
- Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station: Okay, they're covering all the bases.
- Taxi service, Valet parking: Convenient.
- Bicycle parking: If you're feeling adventurous.
Available in All Rooms: The "What's Actually In the Room?" Lowdown
This is where you really get a feel for the place.
- Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens: This is a long list, but it's a good one! They've thought of pretty much everything. The bathrobes and slippers are a nice touch. And the blackout curtains? Crucial for those daytime naps after a long day of… well, you know.
Things to Do (Beyond the Pool): Because Let's Be Real, I'm Not Only Lounging
- Shrine, Proposal spot, Couple's room, Room decorations: Romantic!
- Exterior corridor, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Hotel chain, Non-smoking rooms, Proposal spot, Room decorations, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms: Safety is key, and these are the basics.
The Anecdote (and the Imperfection): A Day at the Beach and a Near-Disaster
Okay, so I did manage to escape from my room (shocking, I know). I took a day trip to a nearby beach. The water was crystal clear, the sand was soft, and I felt like I was living in a postcard. I even attempted to learn how to paddleboard (disastrous, but hilarious).
Then came the near-disaster. I went back to my room, and the lock jammed. I spent a solid twenty minutes panicking, picturing myself locked out in the Cretan heat. Thankfully, the staff were amazing. They had it fixed
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Your Dream Karaman Getaway at New Karaman Hotel!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's perfectly-planned itinerary. This is a raw, unfiltered, potentially-disastrous-but-hopefully-glorious account of my trip to Avra Apartments in the Venetian Harbour, Crete. Prepare for a rollercoaster.
Crete: Operation "Find the Sun, Avoid the Tourist Traps, and Don't Get Eaten by a Stray Goat"
Day 1: Arrival and the Great Olive Oil Debacle
- Morning (ish): Touchdown at Heraklion airport. Let's be honest, I woke up in a panic thinking I'd missed my flight. Thankfully, I hadn't. The airport itself is a sweaty, slightly chaotic affair, but hey, it's Greece! Grabbed a taxi – the driver looked like he'd seen a few things. He definitely judged my oversized suitcase.
- Afternoon: Arrived at Avra Apartments. Wow. Seriously. The Venetian Harbour is stunning. The apartments themselves are charming, a little worn around the edges (perfect!), and have a balcony overlooking the water. I swear, I spent a good hour just staring. The sun, the boats, the colours…it was pure bliss. This is what I needed.
- Evening: Okay, here's where things get interesting. I decided to be a culinary genius and buy some local olive oil from a shop. I figured I'd whip up a simple pasta dish to celebrate my arrival. Narrator: This was a mistake. The olive oil was so intense, so olive-y, that it nearly knocked me off my feet. I'm pretty sure I used way too much. My pasta was… well, let's just say it tasted like liquid grass. I ended up ordering a takeaway souvlaki to salvage the evening. Lesson learned: stick to the professionals. The souvlaki, by the way, was divine.
- Quirky Observation: The cats. So many cats. Sleek, fluffy, sunbathing cats. They rule this place. I suspect they're running the whole island.
Day 2: Chasing Ruins and Questionable Swimwear Choices
- Morning: Okay, I'm going to be honest, I slept in. Blame it on the jet lag and the souvlaki. But eventually, I dragged myself to Knossos. The Minoan ruins are impressive, but also, it was HOT. Like, melt-your-face-off hot. I swear, the guide was speaking in ancient Greek, and all I could think about was finding some shade.
- Afternoon: Time for some beach action! I chose a beach a bit further down the coast, away from the main tourist hordes. Now, this is where the swimwear choice comes in. I'd packed this teeny-tiny bikini, thinking I was still twenty years old. I am not twenty years old. Let's just say, the sun did a number on my… well, let's leave it at that.
- Evening: Dinner at a taverna overlooking the harbour. Ordered the grilled octopus. It was… chewy. But the view! The sunset! The wine! All forgivable. I also attempted to learn a few basic Greek phrases from the waiter. My accent was atrocious, but he was very patient. I think.
- Emotional Reaction: The sheer beauty of the harbour at sunset almost brought me to tears. It's moments like these that make all the travel stress worth it. Pure, unadulterated joy.
Day 3: Rethymno's Charm and a Near-Disaster with a Scooter
- Morning: Decided to take a day trip to Rethymno, another Venetian town. It's even more charming than Chania (fight me!). The narrow streets, the colourful buildings, the Venetian Loggia… it's postcard-perfect. Wandered around, got lost, and loved every minute of it.
- Afternoon: Scooters. They seemed like a good idea. I rented one. I am not good at scooters. Let's just say I nearly took out a fruit stall. The seller gave me a look that could curdle milk. I handed the scooter back, humbled and slightly shaken. I'm sticking to walking.
- Evening: Found a small, family-run taverna in Rethymno. The food was incredible. The family? Even better. They were so welcoming, so warm. It felt like I was eating with old friends. I ate the most amazing Moussaka. I asked for the recipe. The owner just laughed.
- Messy Structure: Okay, I'm going to be honest, I got a little lost in Rethymno. Wandering down alleyways, taking pictures, smelling all sorts of different foods that I wanted to taste. I got lost in the beauty of it all.
Day 4: The Samaria Gorge (and My Blisters)
- Morning: The Samaria Gorge. This was a big one. A long hike through a spectacular gorge. The views were breathtaking. The walk? Brutal. My feet are screaming. I swear, I developed blisters in places I didn't even know existed.
- Afternoon: Finally made it to the end of the gorge. Collapsed on the beach, exhausted but exhilarated. Drank an entire bottle of water. I think I might have also eaten half a melon.
- Evening: Back at the apartment. Soaking my feet in a bucket of cold water. Ordered pizza. I can barely move. Worth it. Every. Single. Step.
- Stronger Emotional Reaction: The sheer scale of the gorge was overwhelming. It made me feel tiny, insignificant, and incredibly grateful to be experiencing it. It was a humbling experience.
Day 5: Harbour Hopping, Wine Tasting and the Search for the Perfect Gyro
- Morning: Spent the morning just wandering around the Venetian Harbour. I mean, I had to. It was beautiful. Trying to pick out my favourite boat. I still haven't decided.
- Afternoon: Wine tasting! Crete has some amazing wines, and I found a small vineyard nearby. The wine was delicious, the views were stunning. I bought way too many bottles.
- Evening: The Great Gyro Quest. My mission: to find the best gyro in Crete. I sampled gyros from every corner. The quest is still ongoing, but I think I'm getting close.
- Rambles: I was trying to eat more local food. I tried to eat everything I could. I took notes on everything I ate. I wanted to eat everything.
Day 6: Beach Day and a Sunset that Almost Broke Me
- Morning: Beach Day, round two. Found a quieter beach, read a book, and generally just relaxed. The water was crystal clear, the sun was warm. Pure bliss.
- Afternoon: Okay, I'm going to double down on this sunset. It was, hands down, the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen. The colours were incredible, the sky was on fire. It felt like the world was holding its breath. I almost cried. I kind of did cry.
- Evening: Said goodbye to the harbour. I am not ready to leave. But I have to. I'm going to miss this place.
- Opinionated Language: I feel like I'm still in a dream. I never want to leave.
Day 7: Departure (and a Vow to Return)
- Morning: Packing. The worst part. Said goodbye to the apartment. Said goodbye to the cats. Said goodbye to the sun.
- Afternoon: Flight home. Already planning my return.
- Emotional Reaction: This trip was exactly what I needed. A chance to disconnect, to explore, to eat too much olive oil, and to find myself in the most beautiful place in the world. Crete, you have my heart. I'll be back.
Imperfections: I probably missed some things. I might have gotten a little sunburned. My Greek is still terrible. But it doesn't matter. This trip was perfect in its imperfections.
Final Thoughts: Go to Crete. Go to Avra Apartments. Embrace the chaos. Eat the octopus (even if it's chewy). And for the love of all that is holy, wear sunscreen. And try not to fall in love, because you probably will.
Escape to Paradise: Kochi's Stunning Pearl Palace Hotel (O 848)
Avra Apartments: Your Venetian Harbour Escape - The Real Deal FAQs (and My Ramblings!)
So, Avra Apartments... Is it *really* as idyllic as those Instagram pics?
Okay, let's be honest. Instagram lies. Mostly. But with Avra? Mostly true. It's *stunning*. Seriously, the Venetian Harbour is right there. I'm talking "roll out of bed, stumble onto the balcony, and gasp at the sunrise over the water" levels of stunning. The pictures don't fully capture the *smell* though. That salty, sea-breeze mixed with the faint aroma of fresh bread from the bakery downstairs? Pure heaven.
But...and there's always a "but", right? My first morning? Jet lag hit me like a freight train. I'd envisioned myself gracefully sipping coffee on the balcony. Instead, I was wrestling with the coffee machine (Greek coffee is *not* my forte) and nearly tripped over a stray sandal. Glamorous, I am not. But the view... it still made me tear up a little. It *is* idyllic. Just…with a bit of messy reality thrown in.
Are the apartments actually *in* the harbour? I'm picturing noise...
Yes, they are basically *in* the harbour. And yes, there's noise. It's a living, breathing place, you know? You've got the gentle lapping of the waves, the occasional seagull screech (they're like tiny, feathered opera singers, honestly), and the chatter of people enjoying themselves. I'm a light sleeper, so I was worried. But honestly? It's a white noise situation. It’s *part* of the charm. Think of it as the soundtrack to your Cretan adventure.
One night, though? There was a regatta. A full-blown, horn-blaring, boat-racing extravaganza. That was loud. Like, “woke up convinced the apocalypse was happening” loud. But… it was also kind of amazing to watch from the balcony. So, pack earplugs if you're super sensitive, but embrace the energy!
What's the deal with the balconies? They look amazing.
The balconies. Oh, the balconies! They *are* amazing. Seriously, you could spend your entire vacation just…sitting there. I did. I confess. Coffee in the morning, wine in the evening, a book in the afternoon. Bliss. The view is different at every time of day. Sunrise is like a painting. Sunset? Forget about it. Get the camera ready.
One slight imperfection though: the railing on mine was a little wobbly. Not a deal-breaker, but I did have a moment of panic when I leaned a bit too enthusiastically to take a photo of a particularly cute cat on a boat. (Prioritize safety, people!). Just a minor thing. Still, the balconies are pure gold.
Is it easy to get around from Avra Apartments?
Super easy! You're right in the heart of things. Restaurants, cafes, shops… everything is within a short walk. The Old Town is right there, begging to be explored. Honestly, you could ditch the car entirely (which is a good thing, because parking in Chania can be a nightmare!). We walked everywhere. Seriously, everywhere. We even walked to the beach a few times (it's a bit of a hike, but totally doable).
The only problem? You end up eating *way* too much delicious food because it's all right there. That gyros place? My weakness. The gelato shop? My downfall. Be prepared to loosen your belt a notch or two. And maybe invest in some comfy walking shoes. You'll need them.
What about the apartments themselves? Are they modern/comfortable?
They're a lovely mix of modern comfort and traditional charm. Think exposed stone walls, bright white interiors, and all the amenities you need. The bed was comfy (a huge plus!), the air conditioning worked a treat (essential in the Cretan heat!), and the kitchen was well-equipped if you fancy cooking. Though, let's be real, with all the amazing food around, I only used it for making coffee and opening wine bottles.
My apartment had a slight quirk. The shower pressure was a little…enthusiastic. Like, "massage setting" enthusiastic. I wasn't complaining, exactly, but be warned: you might emerge looking like you've been through a car wash. But hey, it's a small price to pay for paradise, right?
Is there a cleaning service?
Yes, there is! And thank goodness for it. They came in a few times during our stay and it was fantastic! We didn't have to worry about a thing. They even folded my clothes, which, let's be honest, is a level of luxury I'm not used to. It was such a relief to come back to a clean apartment after a day of exploring and eating. It's a definite bonus.
What's the Wi-Fi situation? I need to stay connected (partially).
The Wi-Fi was generally good, reliable enough for checking emails, posting Instagram pics (priorities!), and even video calls. It wasn't super-speed, but it did the job. Honestly, though, I found myself using it less and less. The view from the balcony was far more captivating than anything on my phone. The slow pace of life is contagious. You'll be surprised how quickly you disconnect (in a good way!).
Anything I should be aware of *before* booking?
Okay, a few things. First, be prepared for stairs. Lots of stairs. The apartments aren't exactly accessible for those with mobility issues. Second, the harbour is a popular spot, so book well in advance, especially during peak season. And finally... be prepared to fall in love. Seriously. I'm already planning my return trip. I'm already dreaming of that balcony, that smell, that *feeling*. Avra Apartments? They're not just a place to stay. They're an experience. Go. Just go. You won't regret it. (But maybe pack some earplugs, just in case.)

