
Siquijor's La Candura: Unveiling the Island's Hidden Paradise!
Siquijor's La Candura: More Than Just a Stay, It's a Siquijor Sensation! (A Rambling Review)
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the tea on La Candura in Siquijor. Forget those perfectly curated Instagram feeds, because I’m bringing you the REAL deal. I’ve spent a week there, and let me tell you, it’s less “hidden paradise” and more “paradise with a few delightful quirks.” (And I mean that in the BEST way).
Accessibility: The Good, the Bad, and the Philippine “It'll Happen Eventually”
Getting to La Candura? Well, that's part of the adventure. Accessibility to Siquijor itself is pretty straightforward. You can fly into Dumaguete and then hop on a ferry (that's the most common route), or take a ferry from Cebu. The ferry ride is beautiful, mind you, with those turquoise waters beckoning you. Now, once you're on Siquijor and trying to reach La Candura, things get a little…Philippine-style. Roads can be a bit…rustic. Think bumpy, think motorbike-heavy. But hey, that's part of the charm, right?
Wheelchair Accessible? Okay, this is where I need to be honest. Wheelchair accessibility is…limited. While the staff are incredibly helpful, the terrain and some pathways aren't exactly designed for ease of movement. The hotel does have an elevator, which is a huge plus, and the staff are more than willing to assist. But if full-on wheelchair accessibility is a MUST, you might want to call ahead and discuss your specific needs.
On-site Accessible Restaurants/Lounges: This is where La Candura shines. The main restaurant is accessible, and the layout is pretty user-friendly. The Poolside Bar is a MUST, and it's perfectly accessible. The restaurants themselves are airy and open, making for an easy navigation.
Internet: The Eternal Struggle (But They Try!)
Let's be real, internet in the Philippines can be…challenging. La Candura offers Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! and Wi-Fi in public areas. The Internet [LAN] is also available, but don't expect lightning-fast speeds. It's enough to check emails, post a few pics (eventually!), and maybe stream a movie if you're patient. Internet services are, well, functional. Embrace the digital detox, and you'll be golden.
The Room – My Sanctuary (Mostly)
My room? Ah, my room. It was a haven. Air conditioning? Check. Blackout curtains? Bless. Free bottled water? Double bless. They even had bathrobes and slippers! The bed was comfy, the shower was hot (a luxury in the Philippines sometimes!), and the desk was perfect for pretending to work (while secretly staring at the ocean). Complimentary tea and a coffee/tea maker were also provided, which was a godsend for my morning caffeine fix. There were safety/security features, like a in-room safe box, which is always a plus. The window that opens gave me a little peek at the world, and a chance to breathe in that fresh island air.
Now, a few minor gripes (because, remember, this is REAL): The hair dryer was a bit weak, and the satellite/cable channels weren't exactly bursting with options. But hey, I wasn't there to watch TV, was I? The mirror was well-placed, and the reading light was perfect for late-night bookworms. The desk was okay and the interconnecting room(s) available could be useful if you are traveling with a big group.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Culinary Adventure (Mostly Delicious!)
Okay, food. This is where La Candura really shines. Let's start with the breakfast [buffet]. It was…well, it was a buffet. But a good buffet. They had the usual suspects (Western breakfast, Asian breakfast), plus fresh fruit, pastries, and made-to-order omelets. The coffee/tea in restaurant was always flowing. They also offered breakfast in room if you wanted to do a little extra relaxing.
The restaurants themselves offered a mix of International cuisine in restaurant, and local specialties. The Asian cuisine in restaurant was particularly good. The A la carte in restaurant menu had some real gems. I became utterly obsessed with their salad in restaurant, which was always fresh and flavorful. And the soup in restaurant was perfect for those occasional rainy days. The Poolside bar was a lifesaver, serving up cocktails, snacks, and the all-important bottle of water. I’m a sucker for a good happy hour. They had a snack bar too!
They also offered a Vegetarian restaurant option. And of course, there's room service [24-hour] so you can get a snack in the middle of the night.
Pro-Tip: Don't miss the desserts! They're worth every calorie.
Things to Do and Ways to Relax: Bliss, Bliss, and More Bliss!
Ways to relax at La Candura? Oh, where do I begin? The swimming pool [outdoor] is stunning, with a pool with view that will make you weep with joy. They have a spa/sauna, offering everything from a massage to a body scrub and body wrap. I spent a glorious hour getting a massage, and I swear, my muscles melted into the massage table. It was pure bliss.
They even had a fitness center (which I, admittedly, didn't use as much as I should have). They offered a foot bath and a steamroom as well.
My Most Memorable Moment: The Sunset Swim
Okay, here's the anecdote I promised. One evening, after a particularly hectic day of exploring, I decided to take a dip in the pool. The sun was setting, painting the sky in hues of orange, pink, and purple. I swam to the edge of the pool, and just…stared. The silence, the colors, the gentle lapping of the water…it was pure, unadulterated serenity. I swear, I could feel my stress melting away with every stroke. That moment? That's what La Candura is all about. That's what you're paying for. That's the feeling of paradise.
Cleanliness and Safety: Feeling Secure and Safe
La Candura takes cleanliness seriously. They use Anti-viral cleaning products, and do Daily disinfection in common areas. There's a doctor/nurse on call, and a First aid kit. The staff are trained in safety protocol. They also had Hand sanitizer readily available.
The rooms are carefully Rooms sanitized between stays and there is a Room sanitization opt-out available. They even have Sterilizing equipment. They practice Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, and offer Safe dining setup. They had Individually-wrapped food options and Sanitized kitchen and tableware items.
They have CCTV in common areas and CCTV outside property. There's Security [24-hour] and a Front desk [24-hour], so you always feel safe. They also have Smoke alarms and Fire extinguisher.
Services and Conveniences: They Think of Everything (Almost!)
La Candura offers a ton of services to make your stay easy and convenient. They have Air conditioning in public area, a Concierge, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, an Elevator and Facilities for disabled guests. You can get Food delivery and there's a Gift/souvenir shop.
They have Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, and Luggage storage. They also offer Cash withdrawal, Currency exchange, Contactless check-in/out, and a Convenience store.
Business facilities are available, with Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, and Meeting stationery, and Projector/LED display available. Seminars can be arranged.
For the Kids:
They're Family/child friendly, but don't expect a full-blown kids' club. Babysitting service is available.
Getting Around:
They offer Airport transfer, Car park [free of charge], and Taxi service. Bicycle parking is also available.
The Verdict: Go! (But Manage Your Expectations)
La Candura is a fantastic place to stay in Siquijor. It's not perfect, but it's got soul. The staff are lovely, the food is delicious, and the location is stunning. Just go in with a realistic expectation of Filipino infrastructure and internet speeds. Embrace the island life, relax, and let La Candura work its magic. You won't regret it.
Final Thought: If you're looking for a
Uncover THEE Kashatharn's Secrets: Chiang Mai's Hidden Gem Revealed!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into my chaotic, sun-kissed, and possibly mosquito-bitten adventure on Siquijor Island, Philippines. Forget those pristine itineraries you see online. This is the REAL deal. This is… La Candura, Siquijor: Unfiltered.
Day 1: Arrival and the "Holy Crap, I'm Actually Here" Moment
- Morning (8:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Landed in Dumaguete. The flight? Delayed, naturally. Because, Philippines. But hey, the mango juice was a revelation. Seriously, a religious experience. The ferry to Siquijor? Crammed. The aircon? Non-existent. But the views…holy moly. Turquoise water, the kind that makes you want to cry and hug a stranger (I almost did).
- Anecdote: Met a local lady on the ferry who kept trying to sell me "magic potions" for "good luck and long life." I politely declined, but I'm pretty sure she winked at me and whispered something about "spirits of the island." Now, I'm slightly terrified but also oddly intrigued.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Arrived in La Candura, finally! Check-in at Coco Grove Beach Resort. "Resort" is a generous term. It's more like a collection of charmingly rustic bungalows with questionable plumbing. My bungalow? Let's just say the geckos have already claimed squatter's rights. But the beach! The sand is like powdered sugar, and the water is the color of…well, the most beautiful turquoise you've ever seen.
- Quirky Observation: The resort cats are clearly in charge. They saunter around like they own the place, judging your every move. I think one just gave me the side-eye for ordering a second mango shake.
- Evening (4:00 PM - onwards): Sunset cocktails at the resort bar. Okay, the cocktails are…strong. Like, "I might accidentally tell a stranger all my life secrets" strong. The sunset, however, was pure magic. The sky exploded with color, and I felt a sense of peace that I haven't felt in…well, a long time.
- Emotional Reaction: Feeling overwhelmed in a good way. Like, this is it. This is the escape I needed. This is where I'm going to finally learn to relax (or at least pretend to).
Day 2: Chasing Waterfalls and Questioning My Life Choices (in a good way)
- Morning (9:00 AM - 1:00 PM): Motorbike rental! My first time riding a motorbike, and let's just say it was…an experience. I may or may not have almost driven into a ditch, and I definitely stalled it about a dozen times. But hey, I survived! Headed to Cambugahay Falls.
- Messy Structure: Okay, so the falls. They're beautiful, of course. But getting there was…an adventure. The road is a bumpy, winding mess. I'm pretty sure I saw a carabao (water buffalo) give me a disapproving look. And the crowds! It's a tourist hotspot, so be prepared to share the falls with a gaggle of selfie-stick wielding enthusiasts.
- Afternoon (1:00 PM - 5:00 PM): Cambugahay Falls: The reality. Okay, forget the crowds. Forget the bumpy ride. The water is cool, crystal-clear, and perfect for swimming. The rope swing? Pure joy. I spent a solid hour swinging and laughing like a maniac.
- Doubling Down on the Experience: The rope swing. Oh, the rope swing! I thought I was going to die the first time. I screamed. I flailed. I almost face-planted into the water. But then…I did it again. And again. And again. Each swing became more effortless, more exhilarating. It was pure, unadulterated freedom. I felt like a kid again. I forgot about all my worries, all my responsibilities. I just…swung. And laughed. And felt alive. It was, without a doubt, the best part of the entire trip. Seriously, I'm tempted to move to Siquijor just to swing on that rope every day.
- Evening (5:00 PM - onwards): Dinner at a local eatery. Tried the kinilaw (raw fish in vinegar and spices). It was…interesting. Let's just say my taste buds are still adjusting. Followed by a walk on the beach under the stars. The Milky Way was breathtaking.
- Stronger Emotional Reaction: Wow. Just…wow. I feel like I've shed a layer of stress. This is what life is supposed to be like. Simple. Beautiful. Uncomplicated. I don't want to leave.
Day 3: Snorkeling, Sunburns, and Soul Searching (and maybe a little bit of regret)
- Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Snorkeling at Salagdoong Beach. The coral is vibrant, the fish are plentiful, and the water is…well, you get the picture. Stunning.
- Opinionated Language: Okay, the beach itself is a bit…manufactured. Concrete structures, a water slide that looks like it hasn't been used since the 80s. But the snorkeling? Worth it. Absolutely worth it.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Sunburn. Ouch. Seriously, wear sunscreen, people! I learned the hard way. Spent the afternoon hiding in the shade, nursing my lobster-red skin, and regretting my life choices.
- Occasional Rambles: Okay, so the sunburn. It got me thinking. About life. About priorities. About the fact that I'm terrible at applying sunscreen. Maybe I should move to a tropical island and just…do nothing. Read books. Swim in the ocean. Avoid the sun. Become a professional napper. Sounds like a plan, right?
- Evening (4:00 PM - onwards): Sunset again. Another gorgeous one. Dinner at a different restaurant. Trying to find something that doesn't involve raw fish. More cocktails. Stargazing.
- Stream-of-consciousness: I wonder if the "magic potions" lady was right. Maybe the island is a little…magical. I feel different. Lighter. More…me. Maybe I'll buy a one-way ticket. Maybe not. Maybe I'll just savor these last few days. I don't know. But whatever happens, I'll never forget this place.
- Imperfections: Forgot to pack a hat. Big mistake. Huge.
Day 4: Healing, Hiking, and a Fond Farewell (maybe)
- Morning (9:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Siquijor's Healing: This is what Siquijor is known for! This morning I went to the Balete Tree.
- Anecdote: The Balete Tree is the most famous tree in Siquijor. It looks like it's straight out of a fairytale. There's a small pond at its base, and the fish do a "fish spa" for your feet. The fish were ticklish!
- Afternoon (12:00 PM - 4:00 PM): Hike to Lugnason Falls. It's a short hike through lush jungle. The falls are beautiful and less crowded than Cambugahay.
- Opinionated Language: I love the quieter, more secluded falls.
- Evening (4:00 PM - onwards): Last sunset. Last cocktails. Last dinner. Packing. Saying goodbye to the geckos. Feeling a mixture of sadness and contentment.
- Emotional Reaction: I don't want to leave. This place has gotten under my skin. I'm going to miss the slow pace, the friendly people, the turquoise water, and the rope swing. I'm going to miss the geckos, even though they probably judged my every move. But I'm also grateful for this experience. It's reminded me of what truly matters. It's reminded me to breathe, to laugh, and to appreciate the beauty of the world.
- Messier Structure: Okay, I'm not going to lie. I might cry on the ferry tomorrow. But hey, that's okay. It just means I've had a good time.
Day 5: Departure and the "I'll Be Back" Promise
- Morning: Ferry back to Dumaguete. Goodbye, Siquijor. Until next time…
- Final Thoughts: The "magic potions" lady was right. Siquijor is magical.

La Candura: Siquijor's Secret – Unveiled (and Maybe a Little Chaotic!)
Okay, spill the beans! What *is* La Candura, exactly? Is it even worth the hype?
Alright, alright, settle down, you eager beavers. La Candura? Think of it as Siquijor's awkward, beautiful, slightly untamed cousin. It's a secluded, oh-so-Instagrammable beach, but honestly, it's more than just a pretty face. It's a *vibe*. Picture this: turquoise water so clear you can practically see the fish judging your flailing attempts at snorkeling (mine were epic fails, by the way). Powdery white sand that feels like a cloud under your feet. And, crucially, almost NOBODY ELSE. That's the magic, the real draw. Is it worth the hype? Ugh, yes! Just… be prepared for a little adventure to get there. It's not always a walk in the park, literally.
How do I actually get to La Candura? (And, uh, is it easy?)
Ah, the million-dollar question! Getting there is part of the fun (or, depending on your luck, part of the slightly stressful experience). You'll likely need to hire a habal-habal (motorcycle taxi) from the main road. Negotiate the price *before* you get on, trust me. We got ripped off once – felt like we were being charged for a first-class flight to the moon! The ride itself? Buckle up, buttercup! The road is… well, let's just say it's more "off-road" than "road." Expect bumpy, dusty, and possibly slightly terrifying stretches. But the views? Glorious. Think lush greenery, glimpses of the ocean… and the occasional rogue chicken. My friend, bless her heart, kept screaming "Are we there yet?!" for a solid twenty minutes. The answer, by the way, was ALWAYS "Almost!" Then you hike a bit, which is fine!
What's the beach like? Is it crowded? (Because, honestly, I hate crowds.)
Crowds? HA! That's the beauty of La Candura. Unless you're incredibly unlucky and stumble upon it on a rare super-peak day, you'll likely have the place practically to yourself. We went twice, and the first time, it was just us and a couple of local kids playing in the water. Pure bliss! The sand is that perfect, powdery white stuff you dream about. The water? Crystal clear, inviting, and every shade of blue imaginable. You can snorkel right off the beach and see all sorts of colorful fish. (Okay, *I* didn't see much, as I mentioned before, but my friend raved about it!). Just be mindful of the sun – it’s intense! Slather on that sunscreen, people! I learned that the hard way. My back looked like a lobster the next day.
Are there any facilities at La Candura? (Like, can I find a bathroom?!)
Okay, let's get real here. La Candura is not exactly a five-star resort. There are *no* dedicated facilities. No bathrooms, no restaurants, no convenience stores. You're basically roughing it. Which is part of the charm, right? Bring everything you need: water, snacks, sunscreen, a towel, maybe some insect repellent (those little buggers can be relentless!). And, um, plan your bathroom breaks accordingly. Embrace the wild! I did see a very rudimentary, makeshift "bathroom" area behind some bushes, but... let's just say I opted to hold it.
What should I bring with me to La Candura? (Besides the obvious stuff like sunscreen…)
Alright, listen up, because I'm about to share some insider tips. Besides the essentials (sunscreen, water, snacks, towel, swimwear), here's my survival kit:
- **A waterproof bag:** Seriously, protect your phone and camera. That ocean is tempting!
- **A hat:** Trust me on this one. The sun is brutal.
- **Snorkeling gear (if you have it):** Rentals are available, but it's always better to have your own.
- **Cash:** Bring enough for the habal-habal, any potential snacks you might want to buy from local vendors (if any are around!), and tips.
- **A good book or some music:** Because chilling on a nearly deserted beach is the perfect opportunity to unwind.
- **A sense of adventure:** You'll need it!
- **Something to clean your feet and a towel:** this is not a must, but it's a good idea to keep the sand out of the habal-habal.
Is La Candura safe? Should I be worried about anything?
Generally, Siquijor is a very safe island. La Candura itself feels incredibly remote and peaceful. However, as with any secluded location, it's always wise to be aware of your surroundings. Don't leave valuables unattended. Keep an eye on your belongings. And, of course, be mindful of the ocean currents. Otherwise, relax and enjoy the tranquility! We felt completely safe both times we went, but it's always smart to err on the side of caution.
How long should I spend at La Candura? Is a day trip enough?
A day trip is definitely enough, unless you somehow manage to find a way to camp out (which I haven't heard of anyone doing, and it might not be allowed). We spent about four to five hours there each time, and it was perfect. Enough time to swim, sunbathe, explore, and just soak up the atmosphere. You could easily spend longer if you're a serious beach bum, but be mindful of the sun exposure and the habal-habal ride back.
Okay, so you've been twice. What was your *favorite* memory from La Candura? (Get specific!)
Oh, man... this is tough. But if I had to pick one, it was the second time we went. We were almost alone again. We had packed a picnic – nothing fancy, just sandwiches, some fruit, and a bottle of water that was already lukewarm by the time we got there. We found a shady spot under a palm tree, spread out our towels, and just… existed. The sounds of the waves, the gentle breeze, the feeling of the sun on our skin, the utter lack of anything to *do* except relax. My friend, who had been stressed out about something or other beforeFind Secret Hotel Deals

